Director of Infrasound Laboratory
Ph.D., Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1995
Office: POST 818
Phone Number: (808) 327-6206, (808) 956-4315
Fax Number: (808) 327-6207
Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology
Infrasound Laboratory, University of Hawai'i
73-4460 Queen Kaahumanu Hwy., #119
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-2638
Infrasound, Seismology, Fluid dynamics, CTBT monitoring, Volcano acoustics
Recent projects include the study of infrasonic radiation from the 06-07 Winter surf season in the North Shore; real-time acoustic monitoring of eruptions in Kilauea, Mount St. Helens, Ecuador, and S. Colombia; participation in rocket and ground explosion tests for atmospheric model evaluations; and incorporation of infrasound into the GEOSS planning strategy.
Upcoming projects include the deployment of an underwater cabled observatory off Keahole Point, Kona, and the development of ocean monitoring systems in Panama and Hawaii.
- Ongoing: Participation in Acoustic Surveillance for Hazardous Eruptions (ASHE) program in Ecuador and Mount St. Helens Volcanoes for ash hazard mitigation. In collaboration with ICAO and FAA/NOAA.
- Ongoing: Infrasonic volcano monitoring at Kilauea.
- Ongoing: Deployment of Kona Ocean Monitoring Network (KOMNet) as part of HiOOS cabled observatories and in coordination with GEOSS.
- September 2007: Site survey for two infrasound arrays in Panama as part of hurricane tracking project.
- Winter 2006-2007: Infrasound array deployment in North Shore, Oahu, for ocean wave height monitoring. In collaboration with Honolulu NWS/NOAA.
- First International Workshop of Acoustic Remote Sensing of Volcanoes, January 2006, http://www.isla.hawaii.edu/volcano/iwars06.shtml.
- February 2003: Invited Speaker at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy for the Advancement of Sciences.
- July 2003: Organized first NSF Infrasound Workshop.
- February 2002: Invited presentation at United Nations in Vienna on the state of the art of Infrasound (17th Session of the Working Group B).
- Founder of the Infrasound Laboratory and operator for International Monitoring System infrasound stations I59US, Hawaii, I39PW, Palau, and I52GB, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory.
- Recipient of University of Hawaii 2006 Regents' Medal for Excellence in Research.