Projects also include the study of infrasonic radiation from the 06-07 Winter surf season in the North Shore; real-time acoustic monitoring of eruptions in Kilauea, Mount St. Helens, Ecuador, and S. Colombia; participation in rocket and ground explosion tests for atmospheric model evaluations; and incorporation of infrasound into the GEOSS planning strategy.
Deployment of an underwater cabled observatory off Keahole Point, Kona, and the development of ocean monitoring systems in Panama and Hawai’i.
- Infrasound Laboratory (ISLA)
- Consortium for Enabling Technologies & Innovation
- Consortium for Monitoring, Technology, and Verification
- University of Hawai’i Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Research, 2006
- 2011 PopTech Science and Public Leadership Fellow
- Primordial sounds, from PopTech video
- Mega Basso Profundo-Listening to Volcanoes, from Pulse of the Planet
- The Sound of Silence, from Wired
- Earth Speaks in an Inaudible Voice, from Discover Magazine
- Ongoing: Participation in Acoustic Surveillance for Hazardous Eruptions (ASHE) program in Ecuador and Mount St. Helens Volcanoes for ash hazard mitigation. In collaboration with ICAO and FAA/NOAA.
- Ongoing: Infrasonic volcano monitoring at Kilauea.
- Ongoing: Deployment of Kona Ocean Monitoring Network (KOMNet) as part of HiOOS cabled observatories and in coordination with GEOSS.
- September 2007: Site survey for two infrasound arrays in Panama as part of hurricane tracking project.
- Winter 2006-2007: Infrasound array deployment in North Shore, Oahu, for ocean wave height monitoring. In collaboration with Honolulu NWS/NOAA.
- First International Workshop of Acoustic Remote Sensing of Volcanoes, January 2006, http://www.isla.hawaii.edu/volcano/iwars06.shtml.
- February 2003: Invited Speaker at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy for the Advancement of Sciences.
- July 2003: Organized first NSF Infrasound Workshop.
- February 2002: Invited presentation at United Nations in Vienna on the state of the art of Infrasound (17th Session of the Working Group B).
- Founder of the Infrasound Laboratory and operator for International Monitoring System infrasound stations I59US, Hawaii, I39PW, Palau, and I52GB, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory.
- Recipient of University of Hawaii 2006 Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Research.